Here are the detailed schedules of each Special Symposium and General Technical Session
For detailed description of each symposium and its organizers, click here.
General Technical Sessions
Sess1b. Biogeochemical behavior of trace elements (TE) in the environment – from sorption, transport and transformation processes to global cycles- Terrestrial
Chairs: Magdi Selim, John Seaman, Tamer Elbana
Sess2. Interactions of organisms with TE: from molecular mechanisms to ecological effects
Chairs: Giancarlo Renella, Vera Slaveykova, Fang-Jie Zhao
Sess3. TE radionuclides in the environment
Chairs: Ravi Naidu, Laureline Février
Sess4a. Monitoring, risk assessment and management of TE in the environment – Monitoring and risk
Chairs: Mike McLaughlin, Cathérine Keller, Christiane Wermeille
Sess4b. Monitoring, risk assessment and management of TE in the environment – Treatment and management
Chairs: Brett Robinson, Elke Suess
Sess5. (Eco)toxicology of TE: effects of environmental TE contamination on health and ecosystem functions
Chairs: Jurate Kumpiene, Markus Puschenreiter, Marie Pierre Isaure
Sess6. Micronutrient deficiencies and biofortification
Chairs: Diego Moretti, Gary Bañuelos
On Friday, July 21st, we have organized 5 excursions, each featuring a different scientific objective at a different location in Switzerland. Each trip will begin and end at the conference venue (ETH Zurich) and will last the whole day (from 8.30 to approximately 18.30 or 20.00, depending on the trip)
Each excursion must be booked in advance upon registration and its costs are not included in the registration fee. For each trip, a lunch and a snack bag is included in the costs, together with transport, visits and guides.
Click on each excursion title here below to access its description. We recommend to read carefully the descriptions before choosing one.
- Excursion 1 - Heavy metals in mountain soils in Davos
- Excursion 2 - Heavy metals in vineyard and drained organic soils in the Seeland region
- Excursion 3 - Underground Research and Energy in the Swiss Alps in the Grimselpass region This excursion is currently sold out
- Excursion 4 - Shooting ranges in the Luzern and Zurich region
- Excursion 5 - Landfill remediation and agricultural system trials in the Basel region (and across the Switzerland-Germany border) This excursion is currently sold out.
Each excursion has a limited number of places, which will be assigned on a first comes-first serves basis.
Demaria Event Management, Zurich
Tel. +41 76 443 6408
The ICOBTE 2017 Conference Dinner will take place on Wednesday, July 19th.
More details (schedule, location) will be posted here.
This event is not included in the registration fee and must be booked additionally upon registration.
Travel and Accommodation
Directions from Zurich airport and Zurich main railway station to the ICOBTE2017 venue available here.
Zurich International Airport (ZRH) is served by many daily direct flights from all over the world. Its convenient location allows passengers to reach Zurich city center in 10-15 minutes with one of the very frequent train connections. The station is inside the airport and very well signposted. Just outside the airport, the tram line nr. 10 reaches the conference venue in 30 minutes.
The main railway station (Zurich HB) is not far from the conference venue (15 min on foot, with some uphill walking needed; 5-10 minutes with public transport). Zurich is reached by train (often with a direct and/or high speed connection) from many cities in Europe. As example, a train trip from Paris to Zurich (4.5 hours with the TGV high speed train) may be more convenient (in terms of cost and door to door travel time) than a flight.
If you plan to come by car, please be aware of the following: 1) A tax of 40.- Swiss Francs (valid until 31. January 2018) must be paid to access any Swiss motorway. If you drive to Zurich from North, you would have to pay a 1-year tax for 100-200 Km and it may not be worth it, especially if you do not plan another visit before 31. January 2018; 2) driving into Switzerland from South may involve passing through the Gotthard tunnel, which, in summer, can have heavy traffic and potentially long waiting time, especially on week ends; 3) free long term car parking is NOT available in Zurich (and not all hotels provide free parking for their guests, you should verify with your hotel). The cheapest option for long term parking in public parts of the city costs 15.- Swiss Francs/day (and can be booked online - information on the last page of the directions document).
A 6-day (Sunday to Friday) ticket for the highly developed public transport system of the city is included in the registration fee and will be given to all participants at the registration desk at their arrival.
Participants in need of an entry visa for Switzerland, please read here.
The exact address of ICOBTE2017 conference venue (ETH Zurich main building) is: Rämistrasse 101, 8092 Zurich.
Further information on the conference venue here.
Participants will be responsible for reserving their accommodation. The conference organizing committee will not take charge or responsibility for booking accommodation on behalf of ICOBTE2017 participants.
The following map will give you a a reference on the distances to the conference venue (click on the image to download an enlarged version):
- Red = 3 km vicinity of the conference venue (ETH Zurich)
- Green = 15 min walking to the ETH Zurich
Some conveniently located hotels:
- Hotel Sunnehus (3 minutes on foot)
- Leonardo Boutique Hotel Rigihof Zurich (4 minutes by tram #10)
- Hotel Bristol Zürich (4 minutes on foot)
- Hotel Leoneck (5 minutes on foot)
- Hotel Villette City Center - Bellevue (6 minutes by tram #9)
- Hotel Plattenhof (6 minutes on foot)
- Hotel Limmathof (6 minutes on foot)
- Citystudios Central (7 minutes on foot)
- Hotel Florhof (10 minutes on foot)
- Hotel Hottingen (15 minutes on foot)
- Hotel St. Georges (15 minutes by bus #31 and polybahn)
- Ibis Budget Airport (30 minutes by tram #10)
Low cost at short distance:
- City Backpacker Biber (10 minutes on foot)
- Langstars Backpacker (15 minutes by bus #31 and polybahn)
- Youth Hostel Zurich (30 minutes by tram #7 and 5 minutes on foot)
- Guesthause Hunziker (10 minutes on foot + 20 minutes by tram #10) - website only in German!
Please be aware that these are just suggestions based on proximity to the conference venue. The ICOBTE2017 organizers do not have an agreement with any of the above hotels for special conditions for participants, nor can guarantee on the quality or availability of the rooms. However, we recommend to double check and compare rates (for a chosen hotel) both on their website and on the most common online booking portals (there may be offers and better deals).